Monday, April 13, 2009

drunk poetry

i love sitting in bars writing about people. but not while im at a bar with some one. mostly i like bars where i don't know any one, so i won't be distracted by wanting to talk to some one. nothing gets me hit on more than writing drunk poetry alone in a dark bar. living so close to a military base i've realized, nothing gets me hit on more by (ex)military people than writing drunk poetry alone in a dark bar. here's the poems i wrote on a slow saturday night at jezebels on 4th ave in olympia.

On Bukwoski and writing

If you want to sit and write
about people at a bar
I would recommend you first
read Bukowski, he's  written
all there is to be said on the subject.
Any characters to write about here
will simply be a reiteration
on his voice on the subject.
It's sort of like after reading
Bukowski, I had nothing more
to say that hadn't already
been said.
That is of course on the subject
of people at a bar.

Reminiscing Houston Summer

The summer heat pressed hard
wearing against my soul
for another day
This kind of heat was relentless
except in the face of a 
side walk sprinkler
The kind of sprinkler that pulled
our steps into a skip to sooner
our bodies into the shower.
The relief when riding your
bicycle in this kind of weather 
comes only when you perspire
The summer hurricane too
will bring winds to chill
your bones back to winter

On your addiction to Herion

Sitting alone on the stoop of your stairs
I can tell you just shot your dope
because now it is quieter inside

Later in the evening, after I was fully loaded (drunk) I wrote more poetry, I get sloppier and more sentimental. I don't know if either is good for habit's sake, but none the less here is the work:

pg 1

I question your point of view.
whether you believe to truly see
me as I see you.

And when you bow your head
up towards, to kiss the moon.
I am relentless with expressed bliss.

And when I turn my head
to kiss towards the moon.
the thousand deaths upon your
hand is the breath that deals.

like a sacrifice, to the top
of mt. rainier

pg 2

you, are a complete stranger to me
I have never, as I recall traveled to
michigan.
You seemed to mention procreating as if
there would be no concern for my state of being.
And you fight me chivalrously over manifest
destiny

I wish that tonight I conceived myself to you.
because with that impurity, I could be
truly free.
With that manifestation, I could sacrifice
all to deny the same to you.

No comments: